Saturday, February 07, 2004

Carlie's story - So Tragic and Sad

A story like the tragic kidnap and murder of Carlie Bruscia in Florida this week wipes all the other news off the map for me. So tragic and sad. Indescribably so. It's put me in a funk for a couple of days. 11 years old, just walking home, and some monster ends her life for a moment of pleasure. Evil exists, no doubt.

How could this monster be walking around? I hear on the news that he's been arrested 13 times in 10 years! Some judge and/or parole board needs to resign immediately. I want to know right now who appointed the judge who failed to return him to jail when he violated his parole. 10:1 odds that it was a Democratic appointment.

Do the other news stories matter this week? Missing WMD? Superbowl nipplegate? Democratic primaries? Ricin mailed to the Senate? Gay marriage in Massachusets. All background noise.

Carlie's story is so gripping it sweeps all of that away. The video of the monster taking her hand and leading her away to her death is so compelling you just want to pause the tape and yell STOP! and save her. Unconsolably sad. Was I the only parent sitting in a car this week for the 1st time watching my 10 year old get on the school bus? I doubt it.

I know that the Democrats are in a positive frame of mind these last few weeks. They have the news all to themselves in the election cycle right now. They've smartly avoided electoral suicide by kicking Howard Dean to the curb.

I don't know if they realize that all of these stories are playing against them. The sum total of all of these stories is the uneasy feeling that our country is careening out of control. Is there no justice? No security? No morality? Do the Democrats represent order or licentiousness? Do you trust them to keep this monster who killed Carlie Bruscia off the streets? In a word, no. And the American people will figure that out by November.

But this week, I just want to weep for Carlie.

No comments: