Thursday, November 04, 2004

More Red than Blue

I have 3 thoughts about the election results this week.

1. I am, of course, mind-bogglingly happy that my guy won. But I was not at all surprised. Friends will attest that I've been very confident all year that the election would turn out with a Bush re-election and strong gains in the House and Senate. Confident enough that I went to bed at 8:30 pm on election night with only a cursory glance at the returns on the networks.

What made me that confident? The candidate? The conventions? The debates?

No. All of those reinforced my confidence. But the clincher that made me confident came much earlier in the year. It was the phenomenal success of the Mel Gibson movie "The Passion of the Christ". I had been telling people that the movie would open big, stay strong, and rake in millions. Nobody outside of my church believed me. Even my favorite radio drive time talk jock dismissed it the day before opening and guessed that it may break $30 million. Last time I heard it was heading toward $1 billion foreign and domestic box office and DVD sales. Watching the MSM (mainstream media) be totally clueless about that phenomenon was a giant lesson. I knew that the same majority that turned out for that movie to vote at the box office would turn out to support a President who was a genuine man of faith. I was right. The MSM was completely shell shocked, again.

2. There's even more red areas (republican) than blue areas (democrat) if you look at the county - by - county map than there is if you look at the electoral college map. Take a look:

Electoral College map:

and county-by-county:




Check out, for example, Michigan and California which went blue in the winner-take-all electoral map but have sizeable areas of red.

Clearly the divide, if it exists geographically, is between large cities and rural areas.

3. The big loser in the election is the credibility of old MSM journalism, which was so far in the tank for Kerry that they risked blantantly unethical get-Bush "gotcha" pieces and sold their credibility in the process.

- Dan Rather, the "Memogate" fraudulent attack on the President is not forgiven. Your days are numbered.
- Ted Koppel, that hit piece where you went to Vietnam to find Vietcong soldiers to rebut decorated U.S. veterans on Nightline was unexcusable. God bless John O'Neill and the Swiftboat veterans for their service, then and now.
- 60 Minutes, your attempt to explode the bogus "missing ammo" story 30 hours before the election was not unnoticed.

The new media is watching and will hold you accountable. Viva bloggers!

No comments: