Saturday, September 10, 2005

Liberal Bubble

I had ocassion to pass through a major university town this week. It's been a long time since I was in the liberal bubble that is a college campus these days. Wow. No doubt about it. Time stands still there and the ground tilts distinctly left.

I noticed it immediately when I stopped for a burger. I had to wait an inordinately long time to be waited on. Why? Because the staff was deeply involved in hectoring a young man that they had just "discovered" was a PK - a preacher's kid. They all had to get their licks in, calling the poor unfortunate a "probable hypocrite" and ridiculing the fact that he had probably been dragged to church "every time the door was open." Only after they had all sufficiently piled on could they remember to ask "May I help you". Ahhh, the vaunted tolerance of the left. Apparently diversity is not big enough to accept a PK. But then again, I just wanted a burger.

That was immediately followed by an attempt to check into a hotel. I say attempt, because again I had to stand and wait while the staff tried to one-up each other on how evil drug companies were because they were out to make a profit on their research. "God forbid a drug company would develop a drug that benefits humanity and give it away for free!" Are we done yet? Everyone got their licks in on the evils of capitalism? Because, if you are done celebrating the enlightenment of your own intellects, can I get a room? I work for a living, my work day is not over yet, and I have paperwork to do. But don't let that get in the way of next hour's open forum at the check-in desk on the wonders of Marxism.

Apparently, the most important thing in the liberal bubble is talk. Not work, certainly. But talk. Lot's of it.

It took me back 25 years, when I myself was an undisciplined radical lefty who loved to rant about stuff that made me feel educated at the time but embarass me to think about today.

Yes, nothing has changed. Time stands still in the liberal bubble.

No comments: