Thursday, April 20, 2006

Ashamed of My Vote

It's healthy every now and then to look back and re-evaluate the votes that you've cast. And, I'll admit. I'm ashamed by the vote I cast years ago for George Ryan to be Governor of Illinois.

That would be the same George Ryan who was convicted by a jury in Chicago this week on all counts of corruption.

I can't claim that I didn't know he was corrupt when I cast my vote. I knew, even then. Everyone knew.

I cast my vote as a party-line vote. I believe in voting for a party, and not just "the man". Because a position like Governor involves nominating a lot of people to office, and I want the people he brings with him to be from the group that thinks most like me. So, I held my nose and voted for him.

It was close. Very, very close. I really wanted to vote for Glenn Poshard, even though I didn't know much about him - but he was affiliated with the wrong party. Turns out I've learned a lot more about Poshard since then. He's a very honorable man who would have served the state well.

My mistake, and it was a big mistake.

Not only did Ryan bring corruption with him to office, but bad judgement as well. Now we have to live with a disfunctional justice system after he pardoned all of the death row inmates and placed a moratorium on the death penalty. Some Republican.

Of course, he's a media darling because of the death penalty thing. And the media is stunned by his conviction. They want to eagerly report that it may be overturned because of suspect jurors. At least, they hope it is.

The most often used statement by the media was that it was "a sad day for Illinois" that he was convicted.

No it wasn't. It's a great day when corrupt politicians face judgement. George Ryan first among them.

I'll do better voting in the future. Lesson learned.

No comments: