Thursday, July 13, 2006

As I Feared - It's War

Last week, when my co-workers and I were talking current events at the lunch table, it was N. Korea launching missles that had people buzzing.

I piped in to say that I was more worried about the Israeli hostage situation that worried me more. It looked likely to me that this would be the crisis most likely to escalate.

It started simply. Hamas militants from the Gaza strip tunnelled under the wall that Israel built and attacked Israeli soldiers - kidnapping one and dragging him back into Gaza. It was clear to me that Hamas wouldn't release him. And it was also likely to me that Israel would not capitulate on getting him back, even if that meant going to war.

And war it is. Faced with the soldier's capture, daily rocket attacks from Gaza, and now incursions and kidnappings from Hezbollah in Lebanon, Israel has hammered the response with missile attacks from jet fighters. Make no mistake, Israel stated, it's war.

What else would you expect Israel to do? They went the extra mile by totally withdrawing from Gaza and retreating behind a wall hoping for peace with their neighbors. Their reward was continued attacks on their military and civilian population from a terrorist organization - Hamas.

The situation highlights a claim that Rush Limbaugh, among others, had made for years - there is no peace without military victory. You don't negotiate peace. You impose peace after crushing the ability of your enemy to hurt you.

I know two things:

- this is not going to be over quick
- this is not going to be contained just to Israel, Hamas in Gaza, and Hezbollah in Lebanon

The fuse is lit.

No comments: