Wednesday, November 12, 2003

Jessica Lynch and the BCG's

I have to admit I was unexpectedly fascinated by the Diane Sawyer Primetime Live interview with Jessical Lynch last night.

Up until now I've only seen stills of Jessica. And I only focused on the issues. Is she a hero? What about women in combat? Was her story hyped?

But hearing her speak and tell her story made it a human interest story about a scared soldier who fell and her the brave friend and comrades who died beside her.

It was something about her voice. It reminded me of my cousins in Eastern Kentucky.

And it was an unexpected connection, the BCG's.

Diane showed a photo of an awkward Jessica, hidden behind a beret and huge, ugly, government issued glasses. "What did you call them?", Diane asked. "BCG's?"

Jessica nodded and smiled the smile of an inside joke. "That's right - Birth Control Glasses".

My inside joke. How many of us recruits were issued BCG's at boot camp and shared that same joke with our civilian family and friends. I did. And I instantly and unexpectedly connected with Jessica Lynch and felt empathy for her. And I was fascinated by her story of strength in a harrowing situation she didn't choose.

And of the issues?

Is she a hero? Her co-author said it best on the show: "Any 19 year old who gets in a truck and drives into a war is a hero". Well said.

Women in combat? I'm conflicted.

On one hand, the peacetime military is one of the best career paths going. How can that be denied to women? Jessica joined for the same reasons I did: a secure now and a potential future. (She also wanted to travel and see what was outside the 'holler)

On the other hand, do we as a nation really need to send you women into combat as a first recourse? Especially single mothers, like Jessica's best friend and roommate Lori Piestawa who died there beside her? ABC showed a newsreel of the other soldiers and I was struck by the fact that they all had kids. Most of those kids lost a father that day. 2 kids, Lori's kids, lost a mother. And to me there's a tragic and qualitative difference. And I say that as a father.

Jessica, God Bless you and I hope you continue healing. To all the other awkward kids still over there in the sand with your BCG's: keep your head down.

No comments: