Monday, May 17, 2004

"Do you take this woman" - or is it man?

They're popping the champaign corks in Massachusetts as they legalize gay marriage - the first in the nation to do so. In honor of this historic event I thought I would finally comment. Here are my thoughts, in brief:

1. I believe that homosexuality is probably nature driven rather than nuture and is hormonally/chemically driven rather than genetic. However, whether it is a result of nature or through some developmental factor of parenting or environment - it's not the individual's choice in most cases. And I believe that individuals, who did not make a choice of who to fall in love with, want naturally to get married.

2. I also believe that the Bible is clear on the topic and that marriage is designed, biologically, for a man and a woman. Thousands of years of history in all civilization supports this concept.

3. I also recognize that the first two are in conflict. I've resolved it for myself this way.

- I believe in civil marriages for everyone as a state sanctioned function. I believe encouraging monogamy is in the best interest of a stable society. Getting married at the courthouse is fine with me. I believe that represents the conservative position politically as I know it.

- I also believe churches have an absolute right to set doctrine on the issues of marriage in the church, ordination, membership, etc. I believe it is incompatible with Christian doctrine for gays to get married in the church or hold leadership positions. I'm ok with membership. But all that is for each church hierarchy to work out independent of the state.

That's just how I've worked it out. You're on your own.

No comments: