Monday, August 02, 2004

The Democratic Echo Chamber

Here’s the one thing I took away from watching the 4 day coverage of the Democratic National Convention:

Democrats have been talking to each other in campaign mode for a year now and they think that their I-hate-Bush talking points are now universally accepted truths all across America. So now they just shorthand it to each other in the Echo Chamber.

Here’s what I imagine a conversation between 3 delegates at the convention to be like:

Left - winger #1: Count Every Vote! Can you believe the security here?

Lefty #2: Bush is a divider, not a uniter! I like your hat.

Lefty #1: Restore Credibility! I got some new Edwards buttons. He's got such great hair!

Lefty #2: Tax cuts for the rich!

Lefty # 1: Internationalize the war! No WMD’s!

Lefty #2: Lost 1 million jobs! Haliburton!

Lefty #1: Hey there’s sister Lefty. Is she done with her abortion rights, stop outsourcing, start gay marriage, stop-the-war committee meetings?

Lefty #3: Hi Ladies. I hate Bush. Bush lied, kids died. No War for oil. Florida. Deserter. Election Stealer. Disenfranchiser. And he’s stupid, too!

Lefty #1: Shhhhhh! Didn’t you get the memo? We’re not supposed to say any of that out loud here! We can’t tip off the swing voters.

Lefty #3: Oops. Sorry. But hey, no one’s looking. Let’s all whisper it together.

Lefty chorus, whispering: I Hate Bush!

Lefy #1: Wow, I feel better. I’ve been keeping that bottled up all week.

Hey is anyone hungry? We can limo over to the Ritz Carlton for our party with the Clintons. Time Warner is buying the Dom Perignon. We can talk about the poor.

Lefty chorus: Let’s go. Kerry’s a war hero!

No comments: