Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Election Day

It's primary election day here in Illinois. We're picking a new Governor and some lessor officials, as well as warding off (hopefully) tax increases.

We currently have a Democrat in office. A particularly haughty Chicagoan who insulted us downstaters by refusing to live in the Governor's mansion in the capital of Springfield. Time for him to go.

There are several candidates in the Republican primary and the outcome is, unfortunately predictable. There is one establishment candidate (Judy Baar-Topinka) and four outsiders.

I can't vote for Ms. Topinka because I count her in the Republican leadership for two decades that have taken our party into total electoral calamity. She bears some responsibility for that.

That leaves her four challengers, all white guys, who will predictably split the anti-Judy vote thereby ensuring her win.

I voted. I voted for one of the anti-Judy challengers. Tonight I'll watch her win without a majority because of the split anti-Judy vote.

Then I'll reluctantly vote for her in the general election because I prefer a Republican administration to a Democrat administration every time.

No comments: