Sunday, May 14, 2006

Note to Dixie Chicks: Who Asked You To?

Let me just specify that I'm really fond of the musical group called the "Dixie Chicks". Mainly because I saw them perform live for a small technical conference I attended back in 1995 in Dallas - before they were famous, as they say.

They are extremely talented and make great music. No doubt about it.

So, I was a little disheartned when their career derailed back in 2003 because of a political comment that singer Natalie Mains made on a stage in London right before our battle in Iraq commenced. She said that she was "ashamed that President Bush is from our state", or something like that.

That little comment caused a firestorm, and their career tanked. Off the radio, decreased CD sales, and as they tell it - death threats.

What they never really got was this: people weren't that mad about what she said, just where she said it. We are tired of celebrities going overseas to bash the President. If you're that brave, say it in Dallas not London. Dixie Chickens.

I forgave them quickly. I mean really. Do I care what Natalie thinks about Bush and the war? Really. Forgive and forget and lets get the fiddles going.

At least that's what I thought. Apparently, it's not reciprocal.

In a massive strike of career suicide, the Chicks have come out swinging with their first song off their long awaited new album called "Not Ready to Make Nice". They are still angry about the backlash to her statement. So, out they come with this angry screed aimed at their audience.

Not ready to make nice?

Who asked you to? Wasnt' me. I'm living quite nicely without spending $15 for this.

Have a nice life Natalie, Emily, and Martie.

No comments: