Tuesday, May 02, 2006

of Heroes and Murderers

I saw "United 93" on opening day last Friday. You know the story. You know how it ends.

Let me just say that I would encourage everyone who's even thinking about seeing it to see it. It's an extremely powerful movie that's brilliantly done.

My experience was apparently like others who's reviews I've read. The theater was silent, with the audience gripped by the intensity and emotion of the film. When the lights came up everyone just sat for a minute and then filed out silently like a funeral procession.

I wanted to scream a profanity at the scream, but suppressed that urge. I was angry at the end. For good reason. I had just watched the true story of the first counterattack in the war on terror.

Don't worry about the movie clashing with your politics. The movie is devoid of politics. There's no agenda or opinion pushed. There's no context at all, in fact. It's just a real time presentation of the events of that fateful morning. You think for yourself. You decide it's meaning.

Go. See. Remember. It's the least we can do to remember those who first fought back.

No comments: