Monday, January 26, 2004

The "Notch" has spoken

It's now 12:07 in New Hampshire. The spry folks of Dicksville Notch, by tradition, apparently line up to vote at midnight to be the 1st to vote in a primary in an election year. Quaint. Really.

If I had to choose between admiring people who line up at midnight to see the 1st showing of a new "Star Wars" film, or who line up at midnight to vote, I'm going with the patriots. I approach voting with the same sort of awe and giddiness, so I applaud the Notchers. Even if they are probably lining up to vote for Democrats.

I should probably care about the New Hampshire primary. That's where the geopolitical center of the known universe is at this precise moment.

And the Democratic primary is where the excitement is. Given that W. is the slam dunk candidate for the Republicans, that primary is a snorefest. But that's okay. I'm just waiting. Biding my time. Waiting for the big show.Go ahead Democrats, cue up anyone of the field. President Bush is waiting in the General Election, and barring some calamity, he's taking home the prize.

My predictions for New Hampshire:

Kerry
Dean
Leiberman
Edwards
Clark
Kuchich
Sharpton

Last thought: John Stewart's "Daily Show" interview with Howard Dean on Comedy Central tonight was awesome! Stewart is outrageously funny. Also subversive. Yes. Left-wing. Yes. Wrong on most issues. Yes. But Laugh-Out-Loud funny every single night. I salute you.

No comments: