Sunday, August 21, 2005

My Study Project - Evolution vs. ID

As promised in an earlier post, I've launched into a study project on the topic of Intelligent Design vs. Evolution. I'm immersing myself in a variety of sources, from popular literature to textbooks to internet flame wars on the topic - some of which I've foolishly but gleefully jumped into.

I'll have comments as I go on whatever strikes me in my studies. They will be high level thoughts, observations, and questions. I promise - no long winded dissertations. After all, I'm not getting paid for this.

Here are some things that I bring to the discussion on the front end:

1. A theistic worldview. I am a Christian man. I am not a materialist. I am obviously open to the concepts of an intelligent agent necessary for acceptance of ID. I have spent a lot of time in theological and apologetics study.

2. A deep appreciation of science. I appreciate the wonders of the natural world and the deep body of knowledge that has been advanced by some brilliant scientists and engineers.

3. A critical view of the evidence on each side. And a passion to study it.

4. An awareness of my limitations. The best I can do as an informed layman is to study diligently the arguments of both sides and make my own call.

5. A sense of humor. The origin of life is an interesting, maybe the most interesting, topic that I can study. But it's just that. I'll study it. I'll have opinions. And I'll keep it in balance.

I use words. I appreciate words. I catch when words are used in an unintentionally humorous way. Two examples:

I was reading a techinical science paper online the other day on the topic of "common descent with modification". The author gave a brief explanation of how lifeforms moved toward "higher taxa". Well, which is it? Are we "descending" into "higher taxa". Pick a direction and stick with it.

On another night I was watching a nature channel documentary, put together with some help from biologists I'm assuming, about giant squid in the ocean. Cut to a drawing of a giant squid with a huge eye dominating the drawing. Voice over: "... with a large eye that is designed to gather all of the possible...". What? Wait a minute. Did he say "designed"? Better watch that, Mr. Voice Over Man. You'll get drummed out of the science community for inferring design.

So, stay tuned. More to come on topics like:

Transcendancy
System Definitions
Assumptions
etc.

No comments: