Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Slowing Down on VT

I got a little ahead of myself earlier today with a post about the murder spree at the campus of Virginia Tech. I was probably jumping to some conclusions not yet justified by the evidence.

I did get to hear some of the afternoon's proceedings on the radio as I drove. One segment I heard was an interview with the Governor of Virginia, who said this: "For those of you who are making this political, who are looking to mount up your favorite political hobby horse and ride it on this tradgedy, I have nothing but loathing for you. The focus should be entirely on helping the victims and their families." Wow, strong words but needed. I decided to ratchet back my somewhat harsh observations and I deleted my earlier post.

My hobby horse is apparently looking for a jihadist connection to all acts of violence. Which may or may not be present here. I'll just cool my jets a little until we know more.

There are, however, so many questions yet unanswered. I'll suffice with listing my questions at the moment:

1. The police called the first shooting at the dorm a "domestic" violence scene. Was the man now identified as the killer (here called Mr. Cho) actually a former boyfriend of the girl killed at the scene? Had they dated?

2. Did people in the dorm witness that shooting? If so, why haven't we seen them interviewed on TV.

3. What happened in the two hours between shootings? Did Mr. Cho go back to his dorm room and arm up for the 2nd shooting? If so, the police have a serious problem on their hands for failing to pursue a gunman loose on campus.

4. How much planning did he do before hand? How many doors did he chain and lock in Norris Hall, and when did he get the chains and locks. When did he put together the arrangement of ammo clips on a vest that he was apparently wearing.

5. Who is the other asian looking man in a picture on the internet, laying on the ground being handcuffed by an officer?

6. What does "Ismail Ax", written on Mr. Cho's arm, mean? Is it a muslim reference? Did Mr. Cho have any history of attending a mosque?

7. Why did he file the serial numbers off of the two guns that he legally bought? Doesn't that suggest a pre-planned assault, and not just a lover's quarrel gone bad?

8. Did he, as some news wire stories yesterday indicated, "shoot his face off"?

9. Why was he in the country on a green card since 1992, when he was 8 years old? Don't you ever have to become a citizen or go home?

10. Why Norris hall? Why was that his target? What classes, teachers, or students were his main target?

So many questions....

No comments: