Friday, March 21, 2008

Obama: the Double-Negative Racist

Weren't we all taught in elementary school not to use double-negatives?

Me, I don't never use them if I don't have to.

Given that, I'm bugged by one particular clause in Barack Obama's speech in Philadelphia on race. It's this clause, regarding his relationship with his race-baiting America-hating pastor:

" I can no more disown him than I can disown the black community."

No dis-owning. A double negative. Intended to hide what, exactly?

According to webster, "disown" means to repudiate any connection or identification with.

So, the correct grammar translation - if you reduced the double-negative of "no dis-owning" would be to own. Would be to acknowledge a connection or identification with.

Which was obvious in the first place. Barack Obama has a 20 year relationship with the racist America-hating Rev. Wright.

He owns it. And he chooses not to disown it.

It's not illegal. Obama can associate with a racist all day long. It's still a free country, even if he doesn't particularly like it all that much.

He just can't have my vote for President of the United States of America.

And he shouldn't have yours.

No comments: