Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Obama's "Speech": the Duality

So, by now I've read and listened to and re-read again Barack Obama's milestone speech on race relations in America - given in the context of needing to answer for his close association with his pastor, a racist America-hater. (It reads much better than it was delivered.)

So, did I think it was a brilliantly written and totally unique speech addressing such a serious topic as the perfecting of the American Union? A speech that addressed racial divisions in America in a serious and at times uplifting manner in a way that no public figure has in nearly 40 years?

Or, did I think it was a too-clever dodge. A way of changing the topic and excusing his way out of hot water to keep his hard won lead in a high-stakes presidential campaign?

Both, actually.

I read the speech first, and was moved- not completely to tears, but just short. It is brilliantly crafted. The man can write. Who doesn't want to believe in us making progress together, in the face of past strife, toward a more perfect Union? It was, in places, quite inspiring. I give the Senator considerable credit for that.

On the negative side, the speech did not adequately explain the Senator's 20 year relationship with the Reverend. In fact, it uses very trite liberal techniques for excusing bad behavior:

Moral Relativism: Rev. Wright's years of bad racial incitement from the pulpit is no different than Geraldine Ferraro's one comment in an interview last week. Just the same. So, no problem. The only problem is that this is ridiculous on it's face.

Everyone Does It: While Reverend Wright "contains within him the contradictions ? the good and the bad ? of the community that he has served diligently for so many years. " but:

"I can no more disown him than I can my white grandmother ? a woman who helped raise me, a woman who sacrificed again and again for me, a woman who loves me as much as she loves anything in this world, but a woman who once confessed her fear of black men who passed by her on the street, and who on more than one occasion has uttered racial or ethnic stereotypes that made me cringe."

In other words, sure he's a ranting racist but you should really hear my cracker granny.

Nice move, jackass, throwing your grandmother under the train to save your own guilty skin. Absolutely no class in that move.

One important disconnect to me was Senator Obama's continuous use of the phrases "black community" and "white community". Here's the problem: I don't live in one of those communities. Yes, I'm white - but I don't live in the "white community". I live in a city. I work at a job. I go to a church. None of those do I describe as "unashamedly white", as Obama's church describes itself as "unashamedly black". I don't ever use racial terms like that. No one I associate with does either. But clearly Senator Obama, and his wife, and his associates immerse themselves in those racial terms. They are the exclusionists, not me, and this speech just solidified that observation to me.

The speech was well written, important, and may well convince some that this issue is over. But, for me the bottom line is this:

1. Rev. Jeremiah Wright's church, built on his vision of "Black Liberation Theology", is a seething cauldron of racial hatred and animosity to America at large.
2. Barack Obama has been a member of this church for 20 years.
3. In all likelihood, Senator Obama chose to join this particular church for the exact same reason that all of us choose a church - because we are in general agreement with it's doctrine.

Obama has not adequately put this issue behind him, and his candidacy is in serious trouble. My prediction is that he will be soundly defeated in the next primary state, Pennsylvania. And then the Democrat party Superdelegates will have to decide whether to take him down or not. I wouldn't take bets at this point that he comes out of the process as the nominee.

No comments: