Sunday, March 20, 2005

Bumper Sticker Outrage

I was driving behind a car this week that had a bumper sticker which read:

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."


Being an ocassional reader of left-wing liberal (excuse me, "progressive") websites, plus deciphering the other bumper stickers of the "Not in my Name" variety, I was able to discern the root of the driver's outrage.

He was outraged that the Bush administration has been decisive enough to take the War on Terrorism seriously and to take the battle overseas to our enemies with the resulting liberation of Afganhistan and Iraq from the hands of murderous terrorists and thugs and in doing so planting the seeds of liberty that are quickly bearing fruit throughout the Middle East in areas like Palestine and Lebanon.

Oh wait, just kidding. That's all true, but probably not what he meant. I doubt my friend the driver has caught up with the reality of all of that yet. In his denial of reality and in his bitterness over the 2004 election, here's what he probably meant.

He's outraged that the Bush administration launched an uprovoked attack on a country that never did anything to us, after murdering 500,000 innocent Iraqi kids with cruel sanctions, in order to make richer his Saudi Arabian loving oil buddies, Haliburton, instead of listening to our wonderful friends - the French - who, are so much more enlightened than the chimp that we have as President and want nothing but peace and harmony for the world.

That's probably more like what he meant.

Me personally, I'm outraged by more mundane things.

Politically, I'm outraged by obstructionist Democrats who offer no solutions of their own and continue to block effective change in antiquated programs like Social Security and who continue to behave badly by blocking qualified judges from the bench by proceduraly tricker like filibuster when they know, I repeat know, that those judges would be confirmed by the constitutionally required majority if a full vote on the floor of the Senate was allowed. That outrages me.

Personally, I'm outraged by evil. Which came home to us again this week in the kidnapping and murder of that precious innocent little girl in Florida - Jessica Lunsford. I'm outraged that a dangerous sex offender like her killer - Mr. Couey - was out on the streets to be a predator again. And as a parent, I'm outraged and horrified by the thought that a lethal sexual predator may be living across the street watching my children.

Believe, me I'm paying attention. And I can be plenty outraged. Just by different things than my new passing acquaintance, Mr. Bumper Sticker man.

No comments: