Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Deathwatch, Day 13

I've written about all I can write about the impending death of Terri Schiavo in Florida. Today is day 13 of her ordeal which has captivated the nation. Today, as we wait and watch her struggle, I'll just offer some brief thoughts.

- I was sceptical of the arrival of Jesse Jackson at the scene of the hospice so late in the proceedings, as it could just be another example of his opportunism. But as I watched him on the news shows yesterday I decided to just give him the benefit of the doubt on this one. He was not grandstanding or showboating. He was quietly stating that this was wrong and that he was there at the request of the family. I believe him. I'll cut him a lot of slack on this one and just appreciate his efforts.

- Michael Schiavo's lawyer, George Felos, could easily be Jack Kervorkian's successor in the selling of death as a right. The man was eerie as he came out to address the cameras about how "peaceful" Terri's starvation death is. My question is, why is this man allowed in her room at will and her parent's comings and goings are strictly regulated? That's an injustice.

- Go read Pat Buchanan's column today on this topic, called "The Culture of Death Advances". It's excellent and he said it all, better than I could have.

No comments: